A “victory lap” is the term often used by students returning to high school for an additional semester or year. However, there are some important considerations prior to deciding upon this option.
- Are you returning for the right reasons? (readiness for post-secondary education, missing required courses, unsure of which program to take…)
- Does the school and / or program you intend to apply to have a penalty for repeated courses?
- What if the course(s) I wish to take is not offered until second semester?
- What are the financial considerations of returning for a “victory lap”?
- Will the “victory lap” have an impact on my admission eligibility?
- Can I request an admission deferral and for post-secondary education, and then opt for a “victory lap”?
- New government funding regulations may limit the number of courses you are allowed to take and / or repeat! (https://www.edu.gov.on.ca/eng/policyfunding/memos/dec2012/DMCredit34Threshold.pdf)
- Can I do a one semester “victory lap” and then apply for January admission to university or college?
- Can the credits I require be completed quicker through Night School or Adult Education? (https://stlouis.wcdsb.ca/)
Let edvice4you help with this important decision, and provide you with information you may be lacking or unaware of.