Regardless of the skilled trade desired, students must first be registered as an apprentice with the Ontario Ministry of Training, Colleges and Universities.
- Did you participate in an OYAP program in high school?
- Do you have COOP experience in the trade you wish to pursue?
- Does your school offer Dual Credits for your prospective trade? (https://www.wcdsb.ca/wp-content/uploads/sites/77/2016/07/OYAP-Info-Brochure-Page-1-Sept.-2019-version.pdf)
- Have you completed your OSSD?
- Do you have the necessary high school courses required for your trade (especially mathematics)?
- Do you have the aptitude and interest to complete an apprenticeship?
- Can I complete a trade diploma at college prior to commencing an apprenticeship?
- How do I get registered as an apprentice? (register)
- How long is an apprenticeship? (3 – 5 years)
- How does the college portion of the apprenticeship work?
- Do I get paid while serving as an apprentice? If so, how much?
Let edvice4you help with any apprenticeship questions you may have.
NEW: Government of Canada – “Find Your Skilled Trade (Including financial support)